Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Reading Fish.

Okay. I read. I read a lot, actually. 

I am about to embark on a journey of reading every classic I can get my hands on. This does not mean I will not be reading other more modern books in between and during.. because everyone knows I love a good memoir perhaps written by someone in/fresh out of rehab? O_0

And as you can see, I am beginning with Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte (sorry, I dont know how to so that "e" with the two dots above it.) Why am I starting with this book of all books? Well for two reasons. 1) I saw it in Barnes and Noble, thought it had a cool cover and just decided to buy it. 2) Because Bella reads it over and over again in the Twilight series and I feel somewhat like Bella at times. 

So, why not. I actually had no idea this book had so much criticism surrounding it. The first thirty or so pages of the book are not actually the story, but explanations, introductions, and the like by many people including her sister, Charlotte (author of the first published Jane Eyre.) I also did not know that this book was written so long ago. 1847 to be exact. Emily wrote it right before she died at the age of 30 in 1850, sadly and ironically, from a cold she caught at her brother, Branwell's funeral. People died so young back then. Shout out to modern medicine.

But I digress (I've always wanted to say that.) Here I am, on the brink of Christmas break and I am ready to dive in to what has been called a coarse, pagan, demented, insanely-written, topsy turvy, most confusing novel of all time. I'm so ready.

Here's what I've read so far this year (actually since the beginning of summer, I can't really remember what read before that) and I recommend ALL of them to you. Except one.

1. Paper Towns by John Green
2. A Million Little Pieces by James Frey
3. The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall
4. Crank by Ellen Hopkins
5. Dry by Augusten Burroughs
6. Dress Your Family In Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris
7. Go Ask Alice by (Anonymous, actually.)
8. Twilight by Stephanie Meyers
9. New Moon by Stephanie Meyers
10. Eclipse by Stephanie Meyes
11. Apples by Richard Milward
12. Indecision by I don't care because it was an awful book. (Maybe I will like it later in life.)
13. Sellevision by Augusten Burroughs
14. Magical Thinking by Augusten Burroughs
15. Pieces by Stephen Chbosky
16. Breaking Dawn by Stephanie Meyer
17. Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger
18. The Little Prince by Antoine Saint Exupery
19. It's Kind Of A Funny Story by Ned Vizzini
20. The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night Time by Mark Haddon

and I will be adding to the list soon with what is waiting to be read on my shelves right now:

22. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
23. An Abundance of Katherines by John Green
24. Looking for Alaska by John Green
25. Harry: A History by Melissa Anelli

Also, Hillary just pointed something out to me. The Almost/Aaron Gillespie's band covered the song "The Little Drummer Boy" and Aaron is the drummer for Underoath. How cool is that?
Anyway, got any books to suggest, please do.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The Raw Shark Tets mmmmmmmmm. I love that book. I needs to get it again. (I gave my copy to someone) I wants it. I needs it.